From the trap house to the White House- thoughts on my trip

Dear Readers:
I haven't been writing much lately. I sincerely apologize for that. I have a few stories in the queue. Don't worry.

I was just doing advocacy in Washington DC and in Boston. First of all, I need to sincerely thank the people who donate time and resources to help me with my work. I spoke to: a federal judge, a head of a correctional agency, at a DC correctional facility for women, to medical practitioners, and to a group of around 200 students. It was tiring. My legs are still swollen but my heart is full. I spoke with democrats, republicans, young people, older people, professionals, the homeless, anyone who would listen. The good news- we are more alike than we are different. The "opioid crisis" may be the thing that unifies all of us. We all want to find ways to stop the dying and get on with the business of living.

Second of all- I am extremely disturbed to hear the three pronged triumvirate of bullshit policies coming from our government. We are planning on diverting money that could be used for naloxone- something we KNOW saves lives- to law enforcement. Can I say- fuck that. I am a convicted felon. My original charge was sales/transport of a controlled substance. What these laws mean are people with the economic means to hire private attorneys will receive rehab or other alternative sentencing. Those who cannot will be locked up, disenfranchised, and possibly face the death penalty. The Trump plan throws common sense drug policy solutions out the window in favor of approaches we KNOW do not work and do NOTHING to save lives.

Third of all, I am looking into ways to fund a project to get out and speak more. I feel like we need hope, we need real advocacy. I feel like that effort should be national instead of a few key cities. When I go to these places, I see people crying in the audience because they are so desperate for some kind of information and some kind of good news. I try to provide at least a bit of that.

I hope to get more writing out soon after I rest up.

I love you.

From the trap house to the White House


Comments

  1. Hi Tracey

    Sincerely ........ Thank you for being a pationate & informed voice for those that often have none.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't kno if Trump even knows what an opioid is? Probably thinks it's a website or some suchness? We need heads such as yours in this game Tracey, good works and go you! You lookin really well sis .. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. George Washington was a scoundrel. He was quite the big spender and very greedy. He would borrow money from friends and never pay them back and pocketed money that was given to him for the purpose of the army and its needs. While his army was starving and living in poor conditions, he was living it up while dining on meals such as veal, chicken, oysters and beef and washing those down with the finest wines. Supposedly the first president even married his wife, Martha, for her money and grand estate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That carpet really ties the room together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The government's drug policies are race and class based. Preventing black, brown and poor people from voting is the best and easiest way to trample on their civil rights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tracey I agree 100% I live in an area where help is hard to come by. The stigma is alive and well. A life saved could mean so much compared to a life wasted behind bars. It's a disgrace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Trump Plan is no plan. What he's talking about doing, doesn't work. We both know that.

    The War on Drugs is a farce, just like Nixon was. We have never had a drug free society, and never will. Our most powerful weapon against drugs is educating young people about the stuff, not locking up/killing drug pushers. That will achieve nothing, except fill up prisons.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Black Tar Heroin 10 questions answered

Jamie

Another chapter in dopesick love